Valentine's Day is approaching and making DIY gifts are always a fun idea! Valentine's Day gifts don't always have to be for your significant other, but for your friends too!
Hello Glow has a great DIY lip gloss idea that will be a perfect gift for your gal pals!
Today, there are so many beauty products that are made with harmful ingredients and the chemicals in lip products not only get absorbed through your skin but also get eaten! It is important that we become aware of what's in our products, whether it's in our food or beauty products.
This lip gloss calls for coconut oil which has so many great benefits and one of them is replenishing moisture on dry skin. It's the best natural moisturizer and you can even eat it too!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoons shea butter
- 1/2 teaspoon beeswax pellets (optional) *we used this
- 1 tablespoon freeze-dried cranberry powder
- 1/2 teaspoons beetroot powder
1. In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil.
2. Add the cranberry and beetroot powders. Let stand for 30-60 minutes, or longer to infuse the oil.
(If using adding beeswax, heat the coconut oil again and add the beeswax, allowing it to melt completely. Let cool until still fairly warm, but not too hot.)
3. Strain the warm oil through a several layers of cheesecloth placed over a fine mesh sieve. Press gently on the solids to extract as much of the oil as possible.
4. Stir in the shea butter (it should melt easily if the oil is warm enough.) Let cool.
5. As the mixture cools, it may start to separate a little bit. Stir to keep the color particle suspended in the coconut oil. When it's solidified, gently beat it with a spoon until light and creamy.
6. Transfer to a small jar with a tight-fitting lid. Keep somewhere cool. Will keep for several months.
- The beeswax is optional. It will give the gloss a firmer texture, more like a balm.
- The gloss melts easily on the skin; only a small amount is needed.
- For a darker shade, add more beetroot powder.
- For a different shade, mica powder could also be added.